Cooking with your children or other kids in your life is a time for bonding that provides knowledge as well as a sensory experience. Not to mention everyone gets a snack or a treat at the end. Whether passing on a traditional recipe or trying a new one, cooking is something kids of all ages can enjoy.
The first rule of cooking with children is, don’t be afraid of a little mess. Children need the tactile experience of playing with different textures and the movement increases their hand muscles which will better help them use scissors, hold pencils, and more. While the phrase “sensory experience” is often overused nowadays, don’t shy away from it. Although it may be a new way of referencing play, it doesn’t make it any less valuable. Playing in the kitchen with your kids is fun, educational, and creates some of the best memories.
Try these two easy recipes with your kids today!
This simple recipe is great for kids of all ages. With no heat or special ingredients require, adjust adult intervention as needed, and have fun!
- Large tortillas
- Nut butter
- Chocolate spread
- Fun toppings like sprinkles, chocolate chips, or anything else you can find!
- Carefully using a spatula or knife, spread the desired amount of nut butter and chocolate spread over the tortilla
- Place the banana in the middle of the tortilla
- Roll the tortilla around the banana
- Slice into sushi rolls
- Dip the ends into sprinkles or other toppings
- Bon appetite!
Two Ingredient Pizza Dough
Family pizza night just got more fun! Invite your little ones to help make this insanely easy pizza dough. Great for a build your own pizza party. This recipe yields 4 servings.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of full-fat greek yogurt
- Pizza toppings of your choice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Place flour and yogurt in a bowl and mix until a sticky dough forms. Don’t be afraid to get messy and invite your kiddo to knead the dough with their hands
- Form the dough into personal-sized pizza crusts
- Invite everyone to top their pizza and bake for 8-10 minutes
- Enjoy your pizza party!